Tuesday, May 3, 2016

SoundCloud By Brian Udermann

A few years ago I was looking for a relatively easy way to create announcements for a course I was teaching. I wanted the announcements to be audio based only and a colleague suggested I use SoundCloud – I’ve been using it every since!

SoundCloud is an audio distribution platform that was initially created to allow musicians to share recordings with each other. In order to use SoundCloud you need to create an account, which allows registered users to listen to unlimited content and upload 180 minutes of audio. There are pro ($63 a year) and pro unlimited ($135 a year) versions available as well with additional functionality. I use the free version. I use SoundCloud to create podcasts when I want to create audio announcements for courses I am teaching or workshops I am facilitating.

I’ve found SoundCloud to be very easy to use, after creating an audio file with SoundCloud, users are giving an embed code that can be used to share the audio file in a course, on a blog, or on social media networks such as Twitter or Facebook.

I know a number of individuals who use SoundCloud to create podcasts for their courses and one feature they really like is that SoundCloud visually presents the audio files in a waveform graphic and allows listeners to click on a segment of the waveform and leave comments. These comments appear while a particular segment of the podcast is playing.


More information about SoundCloud can be found at www.soundcloud.com.

Submitted by Brian Udermann, Director of Online Education